The call for abstract Submissions has closed.
Abstract Submission Timeline:
- Call for Conference Abstracts - July 31, 2018
- Abstract Submission deadline - September 14, 2018
- Peer Review Process - September 11 - November 30, 2018
- Acceptance notifications - December 3, 2018
Resources & Additional Information
Click here to view a previously recorded training on how to submit an abstract (approx. 60 mins. in length)
Guidance for People Submitting an Abstract
Guidance for People Preparing a Presentation
Guidance for People Preparing a Poster
ADEC uses an online abstract submission database to collect proposals. Review each of the specific submission requirements below and gather the required information in preparation for online submission.
ADEC Presentation Types
You must choose from the following submission types
. Read the entire list; you will choose the best presentation type for your submission when filling out the proposal information. Submissions will be evaluated on how closely the submission matches the presentation type selected.
- Primary Presenter - One presenter should be listed as the primary presenter. Data required for the primary presenter: first name, last name, highest degree/designation, title, affiliation, full mailing address, e-mail address, biography and CV.
- Additional Presenters - All the names entered as additional presenters must serve as speakers during this presentation. Co-author names are not collected in the abstract submission process; however, they can be acknowledged verbally or in handouts during the presentation. Data required for the additional presenters: first name, last name, highest degree/designation, title, affiliation, full mailing address, e-mail address, biography and CV.
- Submitter - A non-presenter can submit a proposal on behalf of the presenters, if desired. The submitter must indicate that his or her role is "entered by" only, unselecting the primary and additional presenter roles.
Note: The person listed as the primary presenter, which may or may not be the same person as the submitter, is considered the administrative contact and will be the individual receiving notice from ADEC headquarters.
About the Abstract Content
Title and Text:
This year, two abstracts are required for each submission, one of 300 words that will be used by the reviewers to assess your submission and another abstract of 100 words. The longer abstract will not be made available to attendees. If your proposal is accepted, the shorter abstract will be made available to attendees to aid them in deciding which presentations they wish to attend.
Each abstract submission must specify the category that is most appropriate. Categories are based on ADEC's Body of Knowledge Grid. View the Category Definitions for a more detailed description of each.
Categories help conference organizers create a balanced program and allow for the creation of a subject index in printed meeting materials. The planning committee reserves the right to change the category if necessary.
Loss, Grief and Mourning (Death-related)
Assessment and Intervention
Each abstract submission must specify the indicator that is most appropriate. View the Indicator Descriptors
for a more detailed description of each.
Family and Individual
Resources and Research
Each abstract must identify the knowledge/skill level required of the participant.
Introductory: Presentations that all participants (including undergraduate students) with any appropriate background will be able to fully comprehend and/or appreciate. Presentations will discuss concepts that are considered basic skills/knowledge for those working in the field of thanatology.
Intermediate: Presentations that participants may more fully comprehend/appreciate if they have at least some work experience in the topic to be discussed.
Advanced: Presentations that present concepts that require a high-level of previous knowledge or work experience in the particular area/topic to be discussed as well as being most geared for specialists and those in advanced stages of their career.
All abstract submissions, except posters, must include three learning objectives that will answer the question: At the completion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- All abstracts submissions must include a minimum of 3 references in the last 7 years from academic, clinical or statistical sources. Maximum of 5 references, the two additional references do not have a limit on years and do not have to be academic, clinical or statistical sources.
- No more than one reference may be from an Internet source.
- All references must be listed in proper APA style. Not sure how to correctly write references in APA style? Use this handy Citation Maker. (The link will open in a new window).
All presenters will be required to disclose relationships with commercial entities. This is necessary for ADEC to comply with accreditation policies and for sessions to be approved for CEU credit.
Audiovisual Equipment - the following AV equipment is/or not provided:
All oral presenters will need to bring their own laptop. No laptop computers will be provided. LCD projector for PowerPoint presentations and one podium microphone will be provided. (Mac users should bring their adapter cords and laptops.)
All other AV equipment including 35mm slide projectors, VCRs, and overhead transparency projectors will not be available. The only item available by request is a flipchart with markers that can be requested during abstract submission. Requests are subject to approval by the program committee.
Proposals are evaluated through blind review on the basis of several criteria including the following: clarity of content; suitability of fit between the presentation type and the proposed content; relationship to the ADEC body of knowledge; interest and usefulness of content to attendees; degree to which content is new or innovative; relationship to conference theme; theoretical and/or research base for content; and appropriateness for references.
For abstract submission platform support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the Support link at the top right of every page in the submission platform to fill out the tech support form. For additional questions, please contact ADEC Headquarters at email@example.com.